Businesses that withstand the test of time, weathering good seasons and bad, share one common characteristic. They consistently improve in the fundamental areas that make them great. Governance lies at the root of organizational discipline. Small businesses often fail because they operate at the mercy of one leader’s personality. A clear governance structure ensures that the company will remain true to its mission and values through each leadership change. We work with our business clients to design leadership structures that align with the company’s overarching purpose.
Here are some of the ways that we help our clients with governance:
- Documenting internal process controls
- Developing quality management systems
- Creating internal audit plans and procedures
- Defining financial performance benchmarks for the company as a whole and for individual departments
- Implementing quality management systems
- Improving hiring processes and employee compensation practices
- Evaluating internal strengths and weaknesses
- Defining and documenting risk management practices
- Assessing audit effectiveness
- Implementing performance metrics for executive leaders and departments
- Performing regular business analyses to identify bottlenecks and opportunities to grow profit
A hallmark of great companies is the habit of proactively grooming successors for leadership roles. Exercising discipline at every level of the organization ensures consistency in leadership principles. If you’re thinking that it may be time to bring in professional management, give us a call to discuss your mission and governance challenges.